3 hrs 5 mins
2 hrs 50 mins
A wonderful salad to have at potluck parties or get-togethers. You could save time by preparing the grains and wild rice concurrently by using separate cooking pans and separate bowls for cooling them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup hulled barley
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 3/4 cup long grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 1/2 cups lightly salt water, divided
- 1In a saucepan on high flame, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- 2Add barley and cover it.
- 3Lower flame and allow to cook for 30 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat and keep aside, covered, for 5-6 minutes.
- 5Uncover the pan and transfer contents to a medium-sized bowl to cool.
- 6In another saucepan on high flame, bring 2 1/2 cups lightly salted water to a boil.
- 7Add brown rice, cover, lower flame and allow to cook for 40 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat and keep aside, covered, for 5 minutes.
- 9Uncover and transfer to a medium-sized bowl to cool.
- 10In another saucepan on high flame, bring 2 cus of lightly salted water to a boil.
- 11Add wild rice, cover and cook for 40 minutes on low heat.
- 12Remove from heat, cover and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- 13Uncover and transfer to a medium-sized bowl to cool.
- 14Now, grab a large serving bowl.
- 15In it combine the cooked barley, wild rice, brown rice, onion, celery, and walnuts if you've used them.
- 16Take a small bowl and in it stir together the vinegar and lemon juice.
- 17Gradually, whisk in oil and stir well.
- 18Add dill, mint, cilantro and parsley.
- 19Season with salt and pepper.
- 20Drizzle this dressing over the salad.
- 21Toss to coat the salad well in it.
- 22Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild and Brown Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.5
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: