1 hr 30 mins
This is a gluten free dressing that combines both savory and sweet elements. The apples and cranberries are a good source of antioxidants. The rice can be made 3 days in advance or even frozen. The entire dish tastes better the second day, so you can make it ahead of time and just reheat the day you are serving it. Adapted from Martha Rose Shulman, "The Very Best of Recipes for Health."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 3/4 cup short grain brown rice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/3 cup pecans, lightly toasted pecans coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1In a large saucepan, simmer the wild rice in 4 1/2 cups broth, salt to taste, until the grains start to break open; drain off any liquid, return to the pot and stretch a clean kitchen towel beneath the lid and let sit 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, in a smaller saucepan, simmer the brown rice, with 1 1/2 cups broth, salt, until tender and all the liquid has been absorbed, 35 to 40 minutes; turn off heat and stretch a clean kitchen towel under the lid and let sit 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3In a large skillet, heat oil, over medium heat, and cook the onion, stirring often, until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add celery and a generous pinch of salt, and continue cooking another 3 or 4 minutes; stir in garlic, if using, and cook 30 seconds.
- 5Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl; add rices and toss well.
- 6Increase the heat in the skillet to medium high and add the butter; when the foaming subsides, add apple, stirring until they begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat and add to the rice mixture; add remaining ingredients, toss and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Preheat oven to 325 degrees F; grease a large baking dish with butter or oil.
- 9Transfer rice mixture to baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and warm in oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- 10NOTE: The rices can be cooked up to 3 days in advance. The entire dish is better the second day, so you can make it a day ahead and heat the day you are serving it.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild and Brown Rice Dressing With Apples, Pecans and Cranberries
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.1
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 391.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 6.9 g