Recipe by Rita~
Sinfully Rich! You can use veggie stock instead of the chicken stock. Use your favorite dried and fresh mushrooms.
Top Review by lunaburning
I was looking for a recipe similar to O'Charley's wild mushroom soup, and decided that this recipe seemed the most likely. Actually, it turned out to be even better. More interesting, more depth of flavor. Ah, this soup is just perfect.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot, minced (optional)
- 1-2 celery, minced (optional)
- 1.70 g dried black trumpet mushrooms
- 1.70 g dried wood ear mushrooms
- 99.22 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed chopped
- 99.22 g fresh oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 170.09 g baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 118.29 ml sherry wine
- 946.36 ml chicken stock
- 0.25 ml saffron
- 2 sprig fresh thyme, just leaves removed from stems
- salt and pepper
- 59.16 ml butter
- 59.16 ml flour
- 473.19 ml cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak dried mushrooms in 1 cup hot water till softened.
- Remove mushrooms and drain liquid through cheesecloth and saving liquid and discarding sandy bits.
- Chop mushrooms set aside.
- In the drained hot liquid and crushed pinch of saffron.
- Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Saute onions, garlic and all the mushrooms season with thyme, salt and pepper about 5 minutes. Optional carrot and celery may be added along with onions.
- Add sherry reduce to half.
- Add chicken stock and liquid reserved from mushrooms simmer 20 minutes.
- In a separate pot melt 4 tablespoons butter then add flour to make a thick paste whisk in 1 pint of cream.
- Then whisk into soup.
- Using a hand blender puree the soup to a nice consistency.
- Let simmer 5 more minutes stirring so not to burn.
- Serve with soup topped with a little extra sherry.