Sinfully Rich! You can use veggie stock instead of the chicken stock. Use your favorite dried and fresh mushrooms.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1-2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot, minced (optional)
- 1-2 celery, minced (optional)
- 1.70 g dried black trumpet mushrooms
- 1.70 g dried wood ear mushrooms
- 99.22 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed chopped
- 99.22 g fresh oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 170.09 g baby portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 118.29 ml sherry wine
- 946.36 ml chicken stock
- 0.25 ml saffron
- 2 sprig fresh thyme, just leaves removed from stems
- salt and pepper
- 59.16 ml butter
- 59.16 ml flour
- 473.19 ml cream
- Soak dried mushrooms in 1 cup hot water till softened.
- Remove mushrooms and drain liquid through cheesecloth and saving liquid and discarding sandy bits.
- Chop mushrooms set aside.
- In the drained hot liquid and crushed pinch of saffron.
- Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Saute onions, garlic and all the mushrooms season with thyme, salt and pepper about 5 minutes. Optional carrot and celery may be added along with onions.
- Add sherry reduce to half.
- Add chicken stock and liquid reserved from mushrooms simmer 20 minutes.
- In a separate pot melt 4 tablespoons butter then add flour to make a thick paste whisk in 1 pint of cream.
- Then whisk into soup.
- Using a hand blender puree the soup to a nice consistency.
- Let simmer 5 more minutes stirring so not to burn.
- Serve with soup topped with a little extra sherry.