1/1 Photo of Wienerschnitzel (Breaded Veal Cutlets)
Kim D.'s Note:
This recipe is almost identical to what I had at an authentic German restaraunt. The recipe comes from "The German Cookbook" by Mimi Sheraton, which I altered slightly. I like to serve it with fried German potatoes and a melody of peas, carrots and corn.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place veal cutlets, one piece at a time, between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound until thin, about 1/4 inch thick.
- 2Slice lemon in half and squeeze lemon juice over all four pieces of veal.
- 3Allow the veal to sit in lemon juice for 30 minutes.
- 4Allow excess lemon juice to drip off before breading the cutlets.
- 5Sprinkle a pinch of salt over each cutlet.
- 6Place flour in a large shallow plate.
- 7Beat eggs, water, and vegetable oil in a large shallow bowl. ~NOTE~ The vegetable oil helps to hold the breading on securely and to make the breading crisp.
- 8Place breadcrumbs in a large shallow plate.
- 9one at a time, dip salted cutlet into the flour and lightly cover each side with flour.
- 10Then dip the cutlet into the egg mixture, allowing the excess egg to drip off.
- 11Then dredge into the breadcrumb mixture to coat.
- 12Place breaded cutlets on a baking sheet and low to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 13Heat shortening in a large heavy skillet.
- 14There should be enough oil in the pan for the cutlets to "swim".
- 15When the oil is hot, place one or two cutlets in the skillet at a time, being careful not to crowd the cutlets.
- 16Fry first side slowly until golden brown, about 4-6 minutes.
- 17Turn cutlets over with a spatula, being careful not to splatter hot oil.
- 18Fry on second side for about 4-6 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 19Drain on paper towels.
- 20If you have more cutlets to fry, then place finished cutlets in a piece of foil and keep warm in the oven at 250°F while you continue to fry up the rest of the cutlets.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wienerschnitzel (Breaded Veal Cutlets)
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.6
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 234.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: