Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
It may be the butt of jokes, but despite the funny name, Wienerschnitzel is seriously good food. If you have a moral objection to veal, use turkey, or even pork, but whatever you do, don't omit the nutmeg or lemon.
- Heat oil in a wide skillet, over medium high heat.
- Salt and pepper the flour, if desired, and coat cutlets.
- Dip cutlets in egg mixture.
- Dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Fry until golden and beautiful.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- grate nutmeg on top, and squeeze on some fresh lemon.
- serve with buttered noodles, or potato salad.
Followed the recipe to a tee and the only suggestion I would make is to let the cutlets sit in a buttermilk bath prior to dipping in the egg mixture. The buttermilk bath will tenderize the meat and add a nice zip that will also help the flour stick to the cutlets.
Had this for dinner and it great! I used veg. oil and a splash of olive oil. I'll be picking up more veal to make and freeze these cutlets for a couple of easy dinners. Thanks for posting!
This was super easy and super simple. The nutmeg and lemon added a nice, authentic flavor. Made for ZWT6.