Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe from a German lady who served it to us at her home. It is delicious.
- 4 boneless veal steaks
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 lemon, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 cup flour, however much you will need
- salt and pepper
- Wash and dry the veal. Beat the veal steaks with a mallet until they are about 1/4" to 1/2" thick.
- Turn a frying pan on medium heat to melt the shortening.
- Sprinkle the veal steaks with salt and pepper and dip into the flour.
- Next you dip them into the beaten egg and then over into the bread crumbs seasoned with the paprika.
- Finally, fry the meat in the melted shortening until they are brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with lemon wedges.
I have made this recipe several times and really enjoy it. I have tried others but found this one to be preferable. I use pork cutlets when I make it. The only change I have recently started making is to bake it instead of fry it. I lightly spray the breaded cutlets with olive oil and put it in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes. The breading gets crispy, but seems much healthier than frying it in shortening. The idea of serving with lemon wedges was excellent; what a nice enhancement! My children and husband love this recipe, too.
This is one of my all time favourite dishes, pork can also be susbtitued for veal. I serve mine with mashed potatoes and coleslaw.
I used a pork cutlet and unfortuneately did not have a lemon in the house but even with out the lemon this is a very tasty recipe. Instead of shortening I used 2 tbsp lite Olive oil. Served with steamed broccoli & pasta with a tomato/vegetable sauce Lovely dinner thank-you TNlady