Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Rice pudding was always served on Sundays when we used to visit my grandma; she would serve high tea with sandwiches and rock cakes. But it was her simple rice pudding that remained a firm favourite with me…But I think she would be turning in her casket if she saw how rich it has become.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 Celsius
- Grease an ovenproof dish, and pour in the rice, sugar and sultanas (optional).
- Mix the milk, cream and evaporated milk together in a jug and pour over the rice, gently stir to ensure that everything is well mixed.
- Grate the whole nutmeg evenly over the surface and dot on the butter.
- Place the dish on the centre shelf of the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Carefully pull the dish out from the oven (pulling the shelf partly out) and stir well.
- Return to the oven for a further 30 minutes. Stir one more time and then leave for a final hour to thicken and for the brown skin to form.
- Best served warm but can be eaten cold.