Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
This recipe is very rich and very very addictive and a brilliant alterative to the usual stuffed mushrooms or Welsh rarebit and if you use mustard such as Tracklement it is completely gluten free. To save time and if you have any to hand you could always skip the caramelised onion stage and use an onion jam instead such as #170996…
- Heat half the oil in a pan and gently cook the onions over a low heat for 40-45 mins stirring frequently until they are soft and caramelised.
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Removes the stalks from the mushrooms and chop them finely,.
- Trim and peel the mushrooms and place them in a baking dish sprinkle the chopped stalks into the centre of the prepared mushrooms, season well.
- Mix together the garlic with the remaining oil.
- Brush the mushrooms with the garlic oil and top with a dot of butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 mins.
- Meanwhile, mix the cheese, egg and mustard together in a bowl.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and preheat the grill to its highest setting.
- Divide 2/3 of the onions between the mushrooms.
- Spoon the rarebit mixture over the onions and top with the remaining onions.
- Place the mushrooms under the hot grill until the cheese bubbles and turns golden brown.
These were a hit with my very fussy family. The first time I made them I forgot to add the onions so I put it on last and I think it makes it more aesthetically pleasing (plus the really fussy ones can pick off the onion!) Absolute winner thank you!