Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
These little sponges are great as the base for any gluten free trifle but can easily be served as an accompaniment to a light mousse or a sorbet. I use my own recipe for gluten free flour mix #438139, but any light gf blend will work and at a pinch just rice flour can be used.
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 ounces gluten-free flour, mix
- caster sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 190c and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar and zest until the mixture is thick and has doubled in volume.
- Gently fold in the flour mix.
- Place the mixture in a large piping bag with a 1/2in nozzle and pipe 3" lengths of batter onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Dust with caster sugar and bake for 6-8 mins until golden brown.
the taste is pleasant but that is the only positive I have.
You cannot pipe this as the batter is so runny, the sponge fingers come out more like sponge biscuits, very flat. They stick to the non stick baking paper and require a longer cooking time than the recipee suggests
I found increasing the flour from 2 to 6 oz gives a batter that can be piped. spray the greaseproof paper with spray oil and allow 8 -10 mins. It is still a flat sponge but more useable.
Next time I will use a couple of mini cake pans and then slice into fingers