Recipe by WicklewoodWench
This cake is based on a recipe I found on "sugar free baking" website while looking for a cake for my diabetic husbands birthday, which was perfect for him but meant I was going to spend his birthday celebrations nibbling on a ricecake,,,I don't think so,,,hence gluten free Apricot Sponge . The prep time does not include the overnight soaking of the apricots.
- 8 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 lb dried apricot
- 500 ml water
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 12 ounces artificial sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak your dried apricots overnight in the 500ml of water.
- Preheat your oven to 180 deg C/ 350 deg F/gas mark four.
- Pour the apricots and water into a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and liquidise.
- Beat butter, eggs and honey into the apricots.
- Sieve in the flour and mix well.
- Spoon into a greased cake tin and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from cake tin, transfer to a cooling rack and make frosting.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, vanilla and cream cheese.
- Add the sweetener a cup at a time and mix until blended.
- When the cake is thoroughly cooled, top with cream cheese frosting.