Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Moist, sweet, spicy, crunchy and gluten free,,,,heaven.
Make and share this Wicklewood's Spicy Gluten Free Walnut and Date Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 113.39 g gluten free self-raising flour
- 113.39 g dates, pitted
- 59.16 ml water
- 56.69 g butter
- 56.69 g light brown sugar
- 29.58 ml golden syrup
- 36.97 ml milk
- 42.52 g chopped walnuts
- 1 egg
- 14.79 ml walnut oil
- 14.79 ml treacle
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ginger
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- 56.69 g muscovado sugar
- 22.18 ml rice flour
- 28.34 g butter
- 28.34 g chopped walnuts
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180.
- Grease and lightly flour a 1lb loaf tin.
- Cut a length of greaseproof paper half the width of the loaf tin and twice the length, line the tin lengthways ensuring it overlaps at the ends.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth, slowly add the beaten egg.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan, add the oil, syrup and treacle until melted, and then beat into the butter mixture, along with the 1 ½ oz chopped walnuts.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and spices and mix well.
- In a pan, heat the dates, water, lemon zest and juice until boiling, reduce heat and simmer until soft.
- Remove from heat and puree with a blender until smooth.
- Place half of the cake mix in the bottom of the loaf tin, ensuring not to remove the lining paper, level with a palette knife.
- Spread the date puree over the cake mix, almost to the edges of the tin.
- Cover with the remaining cake mix.
- Bake for 25 mins, don’t remove from tin.
- Mix all the topping ingredients together and sprinkle over the cooked cake, return to the oven and bake for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins before using the overlapping greaseproof paper to remove the cake from tin and transferring to a cooling rack.