Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Moist, sweet, spicy, crunchy and gluten free,,,,heaven.
- 4 ounces gluten free self-raising flour
- 4 ounces dates, pitted
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 ounces chopped walnuts
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon treacle
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- 2 ounces muscovado sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 ounce chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180.
- Grease and lightly flour a 1lb loaf tin.
- Cut a length of greaseproof paper half the width of the loaf tin and twice the length, line the tin lengthways ensuring it overlaps at the ends.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth, slowly add the beaten egg.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan, add the oil, syrup and treacle until melted, and then beat into the butter mixture, along with the 1 ½ oz chopped walnuts.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and spices and mix well.
- In a pan, heat the dates, water, lemon zest and juice until boiling, reduce heat and simmer until soft.
- Remove from heat and puree with a blender until smooth.
- Place half of the cake mix in the bottom of the loaf tin, ensuring not to remove the lining paper, level with a palette knife.
- Spread the date puree over the cake mix, almost to the edges of the tin.
- Cover with the remaining cake mix.
- Bake for 25 mins, don’t remove from tin.
- Mix all the topping ingredients together and sprinkle over the cooked cake, return to the oven and bake for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins before using the overlapping greaseproof paper to remove the cake from tin and transferring to a cooling rack.