1 hr 5 mins
This is a variation of a traditional Norfolk suet dish called Plough Pudding; made in a pudding bowl and boiled for several hours. Delicious though that is, I find that gluten free pastry doesn’t hold up too well the amount of handling needed, plus I prefer the ease, and taste of the baked version. Prep time includes 15 mins resting
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 180c.
- 2Sift flour mix and xanthan gum into a bowl, add seasoning, sage and suet, mix well.
- 3Add just enough cold water to bring the mixture together into soft dough.
- 4Place on a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. (For a really light pastry try not to over handle the dough)
- 5Gently roll out the dough into an 8" by 12" rectangle.
- 6In a bowl mix the sausage meat and applesauce together,.
- 7Using a pallet knife, Spread the sausage mixture over the pastry leaving about 1/2" border.
- 8Over a medium heat, gently soften the onions.
- 9Cut the bacon rashers into 1" strips add to the onions season well and sprinkle over the sausage meat.
- 10Brush the edges of pastry with water.
- 11Starting at a narrow end, carefully roll the pastry.
- 12Place the roll seam side down on a lined baking sheet, leave to chill for 15 minutes.
- 13Bake for 30-40 mins until golden.
- 14Leave to cool for 10 mins before cutting.
- 15Serve hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wicklewood's Ploughman’s Roly Poly (Gluten Free)
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3061.8
- Calories from Fat 3096
- Total Fat 344.0 g
- Saturated Fat 85.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: