Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a variation of a traditional Norfolk suet dish called Plough Pudding; made in a pudding bowl and boiled for several hours. Delicious though that is, I find that gluten free pastry doesn’t hold up too well the amount of handling needed, plus I prefer the ease, and taste of the baked version. Prep time includes 15 mins resting
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Sift flour mix and xanthan gum into a bowl, add seasoning, sage and suet, mix well.
- Add just enough cold water to bring the mixture together into soft dough.
- Place on a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. (For a really light pastry try not to over handle the dough)
- Gently roll out the dough into an 8" by 12" rectangle.
- In a bowl mix the sausage meat and applesauce together,.
- Using a pallet knife, Spread the sausage mixture over the pastry leaving about 1/2" border.
- Over a medium heat, gently soften the onions.
- Cut the bacon rashers into 1" strips add to the onions season well and sprinkle over the sausage meat.
- Brush the edges of pastry with water.
- Starting at a narrow end, carefully roll the pastry.
- Place the roll seam side down on a lined baking sheet, leave to chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 30-40 mins until golden.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins before cutting.
- Serve hot or cold.