Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mother in law has developed an aversion to hot spicy foods so I have adapted our usual family favourite chilli by reducing the heat and increasing the flavour with the use of paprika,, (it must be smoked Paprika) It is so popular it has now become a regular addition to our family favourites. If you do want some extra heat just add 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder or a few dashes of tobasco. Delicious served with plain boiled rice or favourite savoury rice, we prefer my Aztec rice #448815
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 (400 g) can plum tomatoes
- 1 (400 g) can red kidney beans
- 1 (400 g) can haricot beans
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 -4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 taco seasoning mix, mild (I use Old El Passo)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and soften the onions and garlic over a medium heat.
- Add the mince and brown completely before adding the pepper, tomatoes (including the juice) and tomato puree, stir well.
- Rinse and drain the beans and add to the mince.
- Stir in the taco seasoning and paprika.
- Reduce heat slightly and cook slowly for approximately 35-40 mins stirring occasionally to avoid burning (if the mixture becomes too thick add a little water.).
- Serve hot with rice or nachos.
I decided, at the last moment to try your recipe,instead of using my own! it was the addition of the smoked paprika that sounded so delicious.
I did add a teaspoon of Chilli to give it the kind of kick I like and I did not have any haricot beans so doubled up on the red kidney beans othrwise I followed the recipe exactly and both me and my husband really enjoyed it. serving it with rice and some green salad it made a delectable meal. thanks so much for posting