Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This should be called Maureen's Macaroni Cheese as it used to be my mother in laws favourite dish until she had a stroke and could no longer cook. I asked her for the recipe and now I get major brownie points whenever I make it for her. The onions need to be sliced very finely, I suggest using a mandolin or a processor. I use my own seasoning mix Wicklewood’s Seasoning Mix however, regular salt and pepper work fine.
- 170.09 g macaroni
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 14.79 ml tomato puree
- 226.79 g Mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Place the macaroni in a saucepan of boiling salted water.
- Stir and return to boil for 15 mins or just tender, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix together the onions, tomato, tomato puree and 2/3 of the cheese
- In a large baking dish layer the macaroni then the tomato mixture ending with the tomato layer (season well between layers).
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.