2 hrs 25 mins
I have recently been introduced to lemon bars, and this is like a giant luxury lemon bar but instead of lemon curd I have used lemon mousse to make a delicious gluten free twist on a lemon chiffon pie. It may seem a quite complex method but don’t be put off it really is worth the effort and never fails to impress. Time includes chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 ounces caster sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 4 ounces low fat fromage frais
- 1Preheat the oven to 180c
- 2Grease and line an 8in loose bottomed cake tin.
- 3Whisk the eggs, sugar and zest together until it becomes light and fluffy.
- 4Gently fold in the sieved flour mix and xanthan
- 5Pour into the prepared baking tin and bake for 25 mins.
- 6Transfer to a cooling rack
- 7When the sponge is completely cooled, split it in half horizontally and return the bottom half to the clean cake tin.
- 8Separate the eggs and whisk the whites until forming soft peaks, set aside,.
- 9Whisk the yolks, sugar and lemon zest and juice together until pale and creamy.
- 10Pour the water into a heatproof bowl and sprinkle the gelatine on top, leave until it becomes spongy then stir until completely dissolved.
- 11Allow to cool then whisk in the yolk mixture.
- 12Fold in the fromage frais.
- 13Wait until the mixture begins to set, then fold in the whites
- 14Pour the mixture over the sponge in the tin, spreading evenly to the edges, sit the second layer of sponge on top and chill until set (approx. 1 hour).
- 15To make the icing add enough lemon juice to the icing sugar to make a thick pouring consistency.
- 16Pour over the top of the cake and spread evenly to the edges
- 17Carefully remove the cake from the baking tin and transfer to a serving dish.
- 18Decorate with shreds of lemon peel dredged in caster sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wicklewood's Lemon Chiffon Sponge (Gf)
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.8
- Calories from Fat 21
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 37.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 35.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low fat fromage frais