Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This dish started life as a pile of saucepans half filled with leftover vegetables from a Sunday roast, and is now a great family favourite, in fact I deliberately cook more veg than is necessary just so I can make this the next day. Any combination of vegetables can be used; however, I tend to use carrots swede potatoes and any variety of green veg. Cooking time does not include pre cooking the vegetables.
- 113.39 g cooked carrots, chopped
- 56.69 g cooked peas
- 170.09 g cooked swede (chopped or mashed)
- 226.79 g boiled potatoes (boiled)
- 113.39 g boiled cabbage or 113.39 g brussle mixed sprouts
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml gluten-free flour
- 354.89 ml milk
- 283.49 g Mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 4.92 ml mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Combine the carrots, peas and cabbage and arrange in the bottom of a large casserole dish, season.
- In another bowl, mix the swede and potatoes together, (but do not mash).
- Over a gentle heat, melt the butter in a small saucepan and remove from heat.
- Blend in the flour and mustard powder until smooth.
- Return to heat, gradually whisk in the milk, (the mixture will drastically thicken between each addition of milk, at this stage don’t rush to add more milk, cook out the flour thoroughly or the resulting sauce will just taste floury.).
- Keep whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Gently bring to a light boil.
- Stir in 8 oz. of the cheddar until melted, Season to taste.
- Pour half of the sauce over the prepared vegetables in the casserole.
- Spoon the prepared potato mixture over the vegetables and cover with the remaining cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 20 mins or until golden and bubbling.
- Serve hot. On its own as a main dish or as a side dish with cold meats.