This dish started life as a pile of saucepans half filled with leftover vegetables from a Sunday roast, and is now a great family favourite, in fact I deliberately cook more veg than is necessary just so I can make this the next day. Any combination of vegetables can be used; however, I tend to use carrots swede potatoes and any variety of green veg. Cooking time does not include pre cooking the vegetables.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces cooked carrots, chopped
- 2 ounces cooked peas
- 6 ounces cooked swede (chopped or mashed)
- 8 ounces boiled potatoes (boiled)
- 4 ounces boiled cabbage or 4 ounces brussle mixed sprouts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 3/4 pint milk
- 10 ounces Mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1Preheat oven to 180c.
- 2Combine the carrots, peas and cabbage and arrange in the bottom of a large casserole dish, season.
- 3In another bowl, mix the swede and potatoes together, (but do not mash).
- 4Over a gentle heat, melt the butter in a small saucepan and remove from heat.
- 5Blend in the flour and mustard powder until smooth.
- 6Return to heat, gradually whisk in the milk, (the mixture will drastically thicken between each addition of milk, at this stage don’t rush to add more milk, cook out the flour thoroughly or the resulting sauce will just taste floury.).
- 7Keep whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- 8Gently bring to a light boil.
- 9Stir in 8 oz. of the cheddar until melted, Season to taste.
- 10Pour half of the sauce over the prepared vegetables in the casserole.
- 11Spoon the prepared potato mixture over the vegetables and cover with the remaining cheese sauce.
- 12Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 20 mins or until golden and bubbling.
- 13Serve hot. On its own as a main dish or as a side dish with cold meats.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wicklewood's Leftover Vegetable Bake
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.1
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 28.0 mg
- Sodium 132.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Mature cheddar cheese