Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I have tried many recipes for different variations of lemon surprise puddings, and delicious as they are, none of them transferred well to being gluten free. The egg whites are what helps in this recipe, however, it is the ban Marie that is key to its success.
- Preheat the oven to 180c,
- In a bowl, beat the butter lemon zest and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, flour and baking powder, beat well together.
- Gradually add the milk and lemon juice. (Don’t panic if it curdles).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Using a metal spoon, gently fold the egg whites into the lemon mixture.
- Pour into a greased 2 pint ovenproof dish.
- Place the dish in a ban Marie and bake for 45-50 minutes.
I remember my mother using the bain-marie technique when cooking puddings & custards of various kinds, & I've done it several times myself! But it was the "lemon surprise" that attracted my attention to this recipe & I thoroughly enjoyed making it! Loved the resulting pudding, too, for sure! Thanks much for sharing your recipe! [Made & reviewed as a THANK YOU for tagging in PRMR during the recent Tic-Tac-Toe event]