Recipe by WicklewoodWench
I found a similar recipe to this in a book of Christmas gifts, unfortunately whenever I’ve made it; it never lasts long enough to be given away. (Prep time includes cooling time)
- 6 fluid ounces cider vinegar
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 10 1⁄2 ounces liter dates, stoned and chopped
- 5 tablespoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy based saucepan, bring the vinegar, shallot, apple and allspice to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 7-8 minutes.
- Add the dates and honey and cook for a further 10 mins, until the dates are soft and any liquid has turned to syrup.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly before pouring into a sterilised storage jar.