Recipe by WicklewoodWench
Whether for breakfast or dessert, you can completely justify the butterscotch in this dish because of the protein packed quinoa. I always use Dib's recipe for toasted quinoa #16399 it is perfect for this recipe as the nuttiness produced by toasting compliments perfectly the butterscotch flavour. Update: I've tried to correct the fluid amount several times without success(editing glitches) but it is supposed to read; 150 ml water and 30ml milk.
Top Review by PaNik
The flavor of this dish was amazing. In reality, though, it is very heavy and very sweet even for dessert. I doubled the recipe and only used 1.5 ounces of butter and sugar and it was still very sweet. I will have to continue to adjust that in the future. I often use evaporated milk, but for this recipe I may go to regular milk and reduce the sugar (but not the butter) a little more. I grilled some pineapple tidbits and placed them on top. I also think banana would go nicely. Thanks, WicklewoodWench. I will try this again.
- 4 tablespoons toasted quinoa
- 150 ml water
- 30 ml light evaporated milk (plus extra for serving)
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 ounce brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the water and milk together in a pan and bring to a boil, add the quinoa and continue to boil until almost all the liquid is absorbed.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the sugar and butter.
- Continue to cook gently until thick and syrupy, stirring constantly.
- Serve hot or cold with a drizzle of evaporated milk.