Recipe by WicklewoodWench
This dish evolved from two favourite leftover meals, namely, Spaghetti Bolognese and Cauliflower Cheese. With the addition of some cooked Gluten Free pasta serve with salad and a slice of GlutenFreeGirl's Gluten Free French Bread #180306, and you have another substantial meal.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 4 large mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 1⁄4 pint single cream
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces garlic & cream cheese with herbs (ie,Philladelphia)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 4 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- paprika, for topping
- 5 ounces uncooked gluten free penne pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot,gently heat the olive oil, add onions and garlic and saute until transparent.
- Add ground beef, and stir until browned and well seperated.
- Add tomatoes, oregeno, basil, mushrooms, parsley, and tomato puree.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow to simmer until sauce thickens.
- Season to taste and set aside.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a small saucepan and remove from heat.
- Blend in the flour and mustard powder until smooth.
- Return to heat, gradually whisk in the milk and cream and gently bring to a light boil.
- keep whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the cream cheese to mix, stir until cheese is melted then add the Cheddar, melt in the same way.
- Season to taste and remove from the heat.
- Cook pasta to manufactures instructions.
- Drain well and add to the cheese sauce, ensuring each piece is coated in the sauce.
- Place bolognese mixture in bottom of an oven proof dish and cover with the pasta mixture.
- Sprinkle a mixture of parmesan and paprika on top and place in a pre heated oven until cheese has melted and is golden brown.
- Serve hot.