I have always made my savoury sauces using the traditional roux method, and I always will because I am a traditionalist. HOWEVER, this method is so easy and so painless, and as long as you allow it to continue to cook for several mins after it thickens (to remove the raw flour taste) it tastes like you spent ages making a roux.
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Whisking continuously, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat but continue to whisk and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add preferred flavouring such as cheese or parsley.
- Season to taste and serve as desired.