1/2 Photos of Wicklewood Wench's Pregnant Pasta
I think it is the custard in this pasta dish that makes it exclusive to expectant mums,,,and anyone they decide to let into the secret. I devised this dish while pregnant with my youngest child, and the only way I could satisfy my constant craving and keep my eldest daughter, who lives on pasta, away from my creation was to tell her it was custard instead of cheese sauce... It worked, as everyone knows pregnant women crave strange foods,,,and who is going to be brave enough to put it to the test?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml broccoli florets
- 354.88 ml mature cheese, grated
- 236.59 ml cooked ham, diced
- 236.59 ml sweetcorn
- 44.37 ml butter
- 709.77 ml milk
- 44.37 ml flour
- 2.46 ml prepared mustard
- 236.59 ml spring onion, chopped
- 473.18 ml pasta (shapes of your choice)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 59.14 ml spring onion, chopped (for garnish)
- 1Cook the pasta according to manufacturer's instructions, drain and set aside.
- 2Cook the broccoli in boiling salted water for 15 mins, drain and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large pan, gently melt the butter and remove from heat.
- 4Add the flour and blend together until a smooth paste is formed.
- 5Return to the heat, gradually adding the milk and beat into a smooth consistency( ensure the flour is cooked out thoroughly or the resulting sauce will taste floury).
- 6Stir in the cheese and prepared mustard.
- 7Season to taste.
- 8Add the cooked pasta, broccoli and all other ingredients (except onion for garnish) to the cheese sauce,coat well.
- 9Adjust seasoning to taste.
- 10Garnish with remaining spring onion and serve with some focaccia bread or a crusty roll.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wicklewood Wench's Pregnant Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 673.2
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 107.3 mg
- Sodium 692.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 32.8 g