Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I think it is the custard in this pasta dish that makes it exclusive to expectant mums,,,and anyone they decide to let into the secret. I devised this dish while pregnant with my youngest child, and the only way I could satisfy my constant craving and keep my eldest daughter, who lives on pasta, away from my creation was to tell her it was custard instead of cheese sauce... It worked, as everyone knows pregnant women crave strange foods,,,and who is going to be brave enough to put it to the test?
- 473.18 ml broccoli florets
- 354.88 ml mature cheese, grated
- 236.59 ml cooked ham, diced
- 236.59 ml sweetcorn
- 44.37 ml butter
- 709.77 ml milk
- 44.37 ml flour
- 2.46 ml prepared mustard
- 236.59 ml spring onion, chopped
- 473.18 ml pasta (shapes of your choice)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 59.14 ml spring onion, chopped (for garnish)
- Cook the pasta according to manufacturer's instructions, drain and set aside.
- Cook the broccoli in boiling salted water for 15 mins, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pan, gently melt the butter and remove from heat.
- Add the flour and blend together until a smooth paste is formed.
- Return to the heat, gradually adding the milk and beat into a smooth consistency( ensure the flour is cooked out thoroughly or the resulting sauce will taste floury).
- Stir in the cheese and prepared mustard.
- Season to taste.
- Add the cooked pasta, broccoli and all other ingredients (except onion for garnish) to the cheese sauce,coat well.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Garnish with remaining spring onion and serve with some focaccia bread or a crusty roll.
I made this for my family for supper tonight. It was wonderful! I added a tablespoon of mustard rather than a teaspoon because we like mustard. It was very good. Thanks for posting. I will certainly make it again.
love this recipe when my mum made thisxx