Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Friends of mine in America, and British friends who went to private schools, have never heard of mint or green custard, and they usually cringe at the idea of it. But anyone having had a typical State education will remember fondly the sight, smell and taste of green custard, especially when it is served with chocolate concrete, try Wicklewood’s Schooldays Chocolate Concrete (Gluten Free)# 439397. It is a favourite with kids and adults love it for the taste and the nostalgia For a more grown up version you could stir in 2 tablespoons of Crème de Menthe before serving.
- 29.58 ml cornflour
- 44.37 ml sugar (or sugar substitute)
- 473.19 ml milk
- 0.19-0.26 ml , food colouring
- 4.92 ml peppermint, essence
- In a bowl, mix the cornflour, sugar and enough of the milk (about an ounce) to make a smooth paste.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining milk until almost boiling.
- Remove from the heat and stir into the cornflour paste, stirring well.
- Pour back into the pan and return to the heat, continue to boil, stirring continuously until thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in the colouring and peppermint, mix well.
- Serve hot with chocolate concrete or chocolate brownies.