Recipe by WicklewoodWench
A refreshing dessert dinner party dessert...For an alcohol free version, try substituting the Marsala for an alcohol free red wine or cranberry juice.
- 6 dessert pears, peeled but left whole and with stalks intact
- 18 fluid ounces marsala
- 4 fluid ounces water
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon stem ginger, finely chopped
- 1 piece lemons or 1 piece orange rind
- 1 vanilla pod
- 12 fluid ounces double cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the pears in a large saucepan with the Marsala, water, brown sugar and rind and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 mins or until the pears are tender.
- Leave the pears to cool in the liquid. When completely cooled remove from the liquid, cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- Remove the rind from the liquid and leave to boil gently for 15-20 mins or until it becomes a syrup.
- Remove from heat, stir in the ginger and set aside to cool.
- Scrape the vanilla seeds from the pod into a bowl with the cream, add icing sugar, and mix together until the cream thickens.
- Trim the base of the pears so they stand upright in a bowl, pour over a little of the Marsala and ginger syrup.
- Serve with the vanilla cream.