Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A delicious addition to any Chinese banquet, egg noodles can replace soba noodles, however, the buckwheat noodles are far safer for coeliacs than egg noodles which can contain wheat
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 lbs pork belly, cut into strips
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 7 fluid ounces dry sherry
- splash rice wine vinegar
- 2 oranges, juice of
- 3 star anise
- 4 inches gingerroot, peeled and finely grated
- 1 pinch five-spice powder
- 2 pints vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 lb soba noodles
- knob butter
- handful of fresh flat leaf parsley
- heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast iron pan add the pork and cook over a high heat for 3-5 mins on each side, remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil, add the onions and cook over a low heat for 5-8 mins, season.
- Raise the heat and add the sherry, and rice wine vinegar and allow boiling for 5 mins until alcohol evaporates.
- add the orange juice, star anise,ginger,fivespice,stock and soy and stir well.
- return the meat to the pan bring to the boil then cover with the lid and put in the oven to cook for 2 1/2.
- Check occasionally and add a little hot water if looking dry.
- Remove the meat from the pan with a slotted spoon and cut off any excess fat.
- Chop into bite sized pieces and return to the pot.
- Cover with a lid while preparing noodles.
- Add the noodles to a pan of boiling water and cook for 8-10 mins or until soft.
- Drain well and transfer to a shallow serving bowl.