Recipe by WicklewoodWench
You really don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy these tasty little burgers. Boiled white rice is a good substitute when gluten free breadcrumbs are not available. Chopped red pepper would also be a tasty inclusion.
- 2 (250 g) cans chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50 g spinach, chopped
- 50 g cheese, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon gluten free breadcrumbs
- 4 gluten, free pitta breads
- 25 g hummus
- sliced beetroot
- handful mixed salad leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend both cans of chickpeas with their water in a processer into a coarse paste.
- Over a medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the spinach, and cook until spinach begins to wilt.
- Add to the chickpeas and stir.
- In a bowl combine the chickpea paste with the cheese, carrot, eggs and breadcrumbs. Season to taste.
- Shape into four even sized burgers.
- Gently fry the burgers for 2 mins on each side or until golden, drain on a paper towel.
- Slit one side of warm pittas to form pockets.
- Spread inside the pittas with hummus, insert a handful of mixed salad leaves, a slice of beetroot and a burger.
- Serve warm.