I was right out of Beluga Caviar the day I found this recipe for blinis,,,and as the only eggs I will eat come from birds, any idea of tradition went out the window (along with the fish eggs). Mushrooms, however, I always have, any combination will work,,,as long as they are the edible kind. Traditionally blini are served warm with chilled Caviar which is how I would recommend serving this version, however, you could easily warm through the mushrooms in the crème fraiche (not too hot or it will separate) and serve on cold blinis. Prep time does not include rising time for the blinis, or the standing time for the mushrooms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 113.39 g gluten, free flour mix
- 56.69 g buckwheat flour
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml honey
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 4.92 ml dried yeast
- 2 eggs, separated
- 7 fluid ounce creme fraiche
- 340.19 g mixed wild mushrooms
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 29.58 ml walnut oil
- 4.92 ml celery salt
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- ground black pepper
- 1Trim and chop the mushrooms, place in a large bowl and mix well with the celery salt until coated.
- 2Cover with a weighted plate and set aside for 2 hours after which time the juices will have drained out of the mushrooms.
- 3Rinse thoroughly removing all traces of the salt, drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- 4Return to the bowl stir in oil lemon juice, parsley and pepper.
- 5Chill until ready to serve.
- 6In a large bowl sift the flours and salt together.
- 7Warm the milk and honey gently, (do not allow to get hotter than touch temp) stir in the yeast until dissolved.
- 8Pour into the flours, add the yolks and stir into a batter.
- 9Cover and leave in a warm place for about an hour.
- 10Heat a heavy skillet or griddle to a moderate heat.
- 11Whisk the egg whites until stiff ad fold into the risen batter.
- 12Brush the griddle with a little oil and drop spoonful’s of the batter onto the surface.
- 13When bubbles rise to the pop of the blinis turn them over and cook briefly on the other side.
- 14served warm with a spoonful of the chilled caviar and a spoonful of crème fraiche.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wicklewood’s Buttermilk Blinis With Wild Mushroom Caviar
Serving Size: 1 (1012 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.0
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 59.8 mg
- Sodium 139.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: