Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I was right out of Beluga Caviar the day I found this recipe for blinis,,,and as the only eggs I will eat come from birds, any idea of tradition went out the window (along with the fish eggs). Mushrooms, however, I always have, any combination will work,,,as long as they are the edible kind. Traditionally blini are served warm with chilled Caviar which is how I would recommend serving this version, however, you could easily warm through the mushrooms in the crème fraiche (not too hot or it will separate) and serve on cold blinis. Prep time does not include rising time for the blinis, or the standing time for the mushrooms.
- 4 ounces gluten, free flour mix
- 2 ounces buckwheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 pint buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 2 eggs, separated
- 7 fluid ounces creme fraiche
- 12 ounces mixed wild mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ground black pepper
- Trim and chop the mushrooms, place in a large bowl and mix well with the celery salt until coated.
- Cover with a weighted plate and set aside for 2 hours after which time the juices will have drained out of the mushrooms.
- Rinse thoroughly removing all traces of the salt, drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Return to the bowl stir in oil lemon juice, parsley and pepper.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl sift the flours and salt together.
- Warm the milk and honey gently, (do not allow to get hotter than touch temp) stir in the yeast until dissolved.
- Pour into the flours, add the yolks and stir into a batter.
- Cover and leave in a warm place for about an hour.
- Heat a heavy skillet or griddle to a moderate heat.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff ad fold into the risen batter.
- Brush the griddle with a little oil and drop spoonful’s of the batter onto the surface.
- When bubbles rise to the pop of the blinis turn them over and cook briefly on the other side.
- served warm with a spoonful of the chilled caviar and a spoonful of crème fraiche.