Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love the crunch of the vegetables in this rice dish. Water or stock can be used as long as it is boiling, adding turmeric or saffron to the liquid will turn the rice a beautiful golden colour and with the inclusion of South American vegetables such as sweet corn and peppers the result is a dish that looks like jewel encrusted Aztec gold.. Don’t be tempted to remove the lid while cooking as the steam needs to build up to fluff up the grains. Delicious with chili, chicken or fish dishes, try swapping the peppers for peas or diced carrot. Times only apply to white rice,,for brown or wild rice add another 30mins.
- 8 ounces basmati rice
- 250 g sweet corn, drained
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 12 fluid ounces boiling water or 12 fluid ounces stock
- 2 -3 stems saffron (optional) or 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- oil (for frying)
- In a large heavy based saucepan, with a well-fitting lid, heat the oil and gently soften the onions.
- Stir in the rice, making sure each grain is coated in oil.
- Add the BOILING liquid, stir and cover.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting.
- DO NOT TOUCH for 15mins.
- After fifteen mins remove lid and gently stir in the vegetables.
- Fold a clean tea towel or several layers of kitchen paper over pan and replace lid.
- Set aside for 5 mins.
- Serve warm.