Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are fantastic. This recipe is from a small business owner in Maine. She sells many variations on her website at www.wickedwhoopies.com. This recipe was published on a local television website when she appeared on it and made them.
WHOOPIE PIE SHELLS
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sour milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
WHOOPIE PIE FILLING
- 6 tablespoons marshmallow cream
- 4 tablespoons vanilla (this is not a typo)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- Shell: Mix together shortening, butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients and set aside. Add milk, cocoa and hot water. Then add the dry ingredients.
- Scoop large rounded spoonfuls of batter onto a greased cookie sheet and space at least 2-inches apart.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes.
- Filling: Add all ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth. Then place scoop of filling between two of the shells and enjoy!
Great Recipe! Made for a band bake sale. Followed as directed and turned out great! I made mine smaller by using 1/4 measuring scoop. No problem with the vanilla, just beated the filling for about five minutes, turned out nice and fluffy! The shells remind me of brownies! Ths is a must try!
These are excellent whoopie pies! To maintain the pure white color of the filling, I used Wilton Clear Vanilla extract (4 tbsp. as stated in the recipe). Alone, the filling had a strong shortening taste to it, reminscent of the traditional Wilton buttercream frosting, but once it was with the shells, it was fine. I used a small cookie scoop to make smaller whoopies and baked them for 9 minutes. Came out great! Thanks for posting! (I'd love to find the recipe for the vanilla whoopie pies :D)
This was THE whoopie pie recipe that I had been looking for!! Thank you for posting. I made these for a bake sale and they were the first sold-out item. I did have to skip on the filling though, just used regular icing, next time I'm going to try the filling I'm sure it will make them even better!