1/6 Photos of Wicked Short Ribs With Chipotle Marinade
What to do with those Chipotle peppers we smoked? This is our recipe inspired by Beef Short Ribs in Chipotle and Green Chili Sauce, Braised Short Ribs of Beef, and a number of others. I would classify it as a hot spicy beef stew. This was so hot, that it made my fingers tingle when I took the short ribs out of the bag. I think the slow and low cooking made the heat of the dish mellow as opposed to the raw heat of fresh hot peppers. We both enjoyed this so much, and plan to fix it again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin (freshly ground)
- 1 teaspoon coriander (freshly ground)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons chipotle peppers (dried, crushed, minced)
- 2 ounces lime juice (or juice of 2 limes)
- 1 1/2 lbs beef short ribs (6 pieces without bones)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions (roughly chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (mashed and minced)
- 1/2 cup baby carrots
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 lb potato (peeled and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1/2 cup green beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1Put first 5 ingredients in a zip lock bag and shake to mix.
- 2Add lime juice and shake.
- 3Add spare ribs and squeeze out air.
- 4Refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
- 5Remove meat from bag, drain, and reserve liquid.
- 6Heat small amount of olive oil in heavy iron dutch oven.
- 7Brown meat over medium high heat.
- 8When browned, set aside in a bowl.
- 9Brown other vegetables, and add to bowl.
- 10Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and reserved marinade.
- 11Heat to simmer.
- 12Return meat and vegetables to pot, bring back to simmer.
- 13Cover and put into 325 degree oven.
- 14Bake 3 hours.
- 15Serve in soup bowls with hot crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wicked Short Ribs With Chipotle Marinade
Serving Size: 1 (757 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1163.8
- Calories from Fat 827
- Total Fat 91.9 g
- Saturated Fat 37.3 g
- Cholesterol 177.1 mg
- Sodium 680.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 41.5 g