Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe courtesy Wickaninnish Inn, Vancouver, CA. Got this off Food Network for the Zaar World Tour for Canadian recipes. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh herb, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh crabmeat
- 1 peeled grilled and diced granny smith apple
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 6 cups apple juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 3 teaspoons water
Salal Berry Compote
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 4 cups salal berries
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whip until pale yellow.
- Mix in eggs one at a time. Mix in one half the flour and the baking powder. Add the milk. Mix in the remaining flour. Add herbs, crab, apple, salt, pepper, and ginger. Butter six ramekins and fill each with batter.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Serve with Apple Reduction and Salal Berry Compote.
- Apple Reduction
- Reduce apple juice to approximately 1/4 cup. Thicken with cornstarch mixed with water, if necessary.
- Salal Berry Compote.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add white wine, orange juice, and honey and reduce until almost dry. Add salal berries and cook at medium heat until berries start to break apart. Season with salt and pepper. Add cilantro and cool.