1/2 Photos of Wichcraft's Roasted Turkey, Avocado, Bacon, Onion Relish, &
1 hr 5 mins
Epicurious says: "Epicurious asked chef Tom Colicchio for this recipe from 'Wichcraft, the sandwich shop in his growing collection of Craft restaurants. It's the perfect way to use up leftover Thanksgiving turkey — and a good excuse to roast a turkey any time of year". Chicken is excellent also. While I'm not the worlds biggest turkey fan this was delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For onion relish
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 59.14 ml dark brown sugar
- 118.29 ml red wine vinegar
- 118.29 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 garlic clove, minced (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 14.17 g white wine vinegar
- 113.39 g grapeseed oil
- 28.34 g olive oil
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 0.59 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 0.59 ml pepperoncini peppers or 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- 1Onion Relish:.
- 2In heavy medium pot, combine onions and enough water to cover and bring to boil, then strain.
- 3Return onions to pot and add sugar, red wine vinegar, and balsamic vinegar.
- 4Place over moderate heat and bring to simmer, reduce heat to low, and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until onions are completely tender and have no bite left, about one and a half hours,.
- 5(The liquid should be syrupy and coat the onions).
- 6Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- 8In food processor or blender, purée yolk, garlic, mustard, and vinegar until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 9Combine oils, then, with motor running, slowly drizzle into processor until completely emulsified, about 2 minutes, (If aïoli gets too thick, add a small amount of warm water, 1 teaspoon at a time).
- 10Sprinkle in salt, pepper, and pepperoncini, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 11Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 13In large, heavy skillet over moderate heat, cook 6 slices bacon, turning occasionally, until crisp, then transfer with tongs to paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- 14Repeat with remaining 6 slices.
- 15Set aside.
- 16Assemble Sandwiches:.
- 17Slice each ciabatta in half and place on large baking sheet.
- 18Place 4 ounces turkey on each of four ciabatta bottoms, then spread onion relish over meat.
- 19Lay 3 slices bacon on each of 4 ciabatta tops.
- 20Transfer baking sheet to oven and toast until bacon is crispy and edges of ciabatta turn light golden brown, about 5 minutes (the turkey does not have to get hot). Remove from oven and transfer bacon to other side of ciabatta, laying on top of onion relish.
- 21Divide avocado slices between sandwiches, placing on top of bacon.
- 22Spread aïoli evenly across each ciabatta top, close sandwiches, slice each in half, and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wichcraft's Roasted Turkey, Avocado, Bacon, Onion Relish, &
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 778.7
- Calories from Fat 500
- Total Fat 55.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 152.0 mg
- Sodium 404.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 20.8 g
- Protein 39.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar