Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the book Wichcraft by Tom Colicchio.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter (1.5 sticks)
- 1 cup oats, old fashioned rolled
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (dark)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter (creamy)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter (creamy)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter over medium heat, add oats and cook 5-7 minutes. Stirring often until toasted. Pour oats onto cookie sheet and let cool.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup butter and sugars in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and mix until no chunks of butter remain.
- Add peanut butter and mix until combined, add oats then flour, soda & salt and blend until smooth. Chill dough in freezer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a large surface covered with parchment paper. Add a light dusting of flour to keep from sticking. Top with another large sheet of parchment and roll dough until 1/4" thick.
- Cut the dough into 2.5" cookies and space 1/2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 mins, turning the pan halfway through baking, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Combine butter, salt, sugar and peanut butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix on medium speed until filling is smooth.
- Place half the cookies with the top side down. using a piping bag or spoon, distribute the filling and close with another top, pressing down.