1/1 Photo of Wi Beer Cheese Soup
Haley K's Note:
I really love the Beer Cheese Soup from the Hilltop in Steven's Point, WI. But I never get up there anymore so I had to create my own. Trust me, I made a lot of bad beer cheese soups until I got it right. Now I want to post it here so I can remember the recipe and you all can benefit from my mistakes!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 -4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups potatoes, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer (something thats not too bitter or dark, coors light works great for me)
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 -4 tablespoons merkt's cheese spread
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- cayenne pepper
- 1Melt butter in a large soup pot. Sauté celery, carrots and onions until the onions are soft.
- 2Add garlic to pot and sauté one minute.
- 3Add chicken broth and potatoes to pot. Bring to a boil and boil until the potatoes are tender.
- 4Turn heat down so soup is at a low simmer, Add half the beer to the pot. You can add more later after tasting, but if you add too much right off the bat it can really make the soup bitter.
- 5Add cream of chicken soup and stir till blended.
- 6Now you can add your cheeses. Add the shredded cheddar a little bit at a time and stir continuously until it is melted and smooth, do the same with the cheese spread. (I'll often toss my shredded cheese with a bit of cornstarch before melting it. This keeps it from clumping up a bit).
- 7Now you can add the Worcestershire, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. This would also be the time to add some more beer if you'd like.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wi Beer Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.9
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 54.5 mg
- Sodium 1240.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: