Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is perfect when you are craving a fast food burger. It's good enough to eat even when you are not watching your carbs. The credit goes to a low carb website by a woman named Linda but I have made some alterations to the recipe.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 dash liquid smoke
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices white American cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon low sugar ketchup
- Brown the ground beef with the liquid smoke, salt and pepper; drain off the fat if desired.
- Add the cheese, if using, and cook until it melts.
- Put the lettuce in a large serving bowl.
- Top with the meat and tomatoes.
- Combine the sauce ingredients and pour over the salad.
- Toss and eat at once.
Awesome recipe! I had to make a couple of changes for what I had on hand. I used mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 C), omitted liquid smoke, and used chopped dill pickles and a bit of regular green relish. We loved it, thanks for posting!
o...m...g... Genius. My go to craving is a bacon whopper, every time. This was great, and totally took care of the need a burger craving with less fat and much less carbs, even with regular ketchup, which was all I have. I might try this with some barbecue sauce next time for the western whopper flavor. I used extra lean ground beef with dried onion cooked in with the salt and pepper, and used yellow cheese since I already had it. With the sauce, I just mixed the ketchup and homemade mayo, then tossed chopped pickles into the salad. Added a handful of bacon crumbles. Hubby had diced jalapeno, fresh onion, and extra tomato in his, but both of us are feeling the love for this salad tonight, and he doesn't even watch carbs. Thanks for sharing!
I used rice cheese and non meat crumbles. mmmmm