Prep 25 mins
Cook 9 mins
Cake-like choc. cookies with a creamy filling. I've used another recipe a couple of times and have changed it a little to make it better. These cookies are so yummy! 2 cookies per person is plenty...very filling:-) Optional: Try this with one cookie first to see if you like it. Freeze a whoopie pie. Melt some dipping chocolate. Coat entire cookie quickly, place on parchment paper then place in fridge or freezer until it sets....a yummy alternative.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups of all purp. flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven 400f.
- >Cream shortening and sugar.
- >Add eggs one at a time till each is blended well.
- >Add buttermilk and vanilla and blend.
- >Place flour, soda, salt and cocoa powder together in a separate bowl, stir then add to batter.
- >Last of all add warm water.
- If you don't have a thick pan use the upper levels of the oven. Use parchment paper or grease pan. Drop by spoonfuls (about the size of a 50cent piece). Bake for 7 minutes.
- Filling: Combine filling ingredients starting with butter, shortening and sugar. Add cream and vanilla and blend until smooth. Add to COOLED COOKIE and sandwich them.
I just finished making these and they are delicious! My husband devoured 2 before I could fend him off. I grew up on the Northern East Coast and am now living in the Midwest and have been missing Whoopie Pies for the last 7 years. The filling is very rich, but goes so nicely with the cakes. The only issue I had was that I found that I had to cook my cakes a little longer to get the right level of firmness (8-9 minutes). Wonderful recipe, thank you!
home made whoopie pies! How cool--and so good.
This is a wonderful desert. Cakes and cookies and pies are fine, but this is something different and will have everyone begging for more. Unlike anything you may get in the store, this cakey-sandwich part actually has flavor. And the creamy center is very flavorful and light - not greasy at all (like the store-bought stuff). If you want to do something different and surprise everyone with a great treat, then I highly, highly recommend this recipe.