Recipe by invictus
Not for someone on a diet! These pies are time consuming but they are so much better than anything you could buy at the store in the pre-packed bakery department. Prep time does not include cooling time of filling. These need to be stored in the fridge.
- 1⁄2 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (just a dash would work)
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water; mix well. Cool for five minutes. In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add cocoa mixture, eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine dry ingredients. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk; mix well.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with the back of a spoon. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In saucepan, combine flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thick, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and refrigerate until completely cool.
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla. Add chilled milk mixture; beat for 7 minutes or until fluffy. Spread filling on half of cooled cookies; top with the remaining cookies.