1/1 Photo of Whoopie Pie Cake
Whoopie pies are a New England traditional cookie. This is a delicious variation on that theme.
My Private Note
layer c ...
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 1 cup margarine (if using margarine, not spread or tub product) or 1 cup butter (if using margarine, not spread or tub product)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (soured milk may be subbed, if necessary)
- 3 eggs
For the frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 350F; grease and dust two 9-inch cake pans with cocoa.
- 2Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy; add eggs and beat until smooth.
- 3Sift dry ingredients together; add alternatively with buttermilk to the egg batter and beat for two minutes.
- 4Pour equally into prepared cake pans.
- 5Bake for 25 minutes or until cakes test done.
- 6Let rest in cake pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack to complete cooling.
- 7While the cake is cooling, make the frosting: Add milk to flour slowly, avoiding lumps.
- 8Cook flour and milk until very thick, stirring constantly.
- 9Cool completely.
- 10Cream sugar, butter and vanilla until fluffy.
- 11Add to cooked mixture.
- 12Beat, high speed, until very fluffy.
- 13Looks and tastes like whipped cream.
- 14Place one layer on cake plate and liberally frost top.
- 15Place second layer on top of first and frost top and sides.
- 16Sift cocoa powder lightly over the top for garnish, if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whoopie Pie Cake
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.7
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 91.0 mg
- Sodium 578.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 51.2 g
- Protein 6.6 g