Whoopie pies are a New England traditional cookie. This is a delicious variation on that theme.
Make and share this Whoopie Pie Cake recipe from Food.com.
For the cake
- 1 cup margarine (if using margarine, not spread or tub product) or 1 cup butter (if using margarine, not spread or tub product)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk (soured milk may be subbed, if necessary)
- 3 eggs
For the frosting
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter (must be butter)
- Preheat oven to 350F; grease and dust two 9-inch cake pans with cocoa.
- Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy; add eggs and beat until smooth.
- Sift dry ingredients together; add alternatively with buttermilk to the egg batter and beat for two minutes.
- Pour equally into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cakes test done.
- Let rest in cake pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack to complete cooling.
- While the cake is cooling, make the frosting: Add milk to flour slowly, avoiding lumps.
- Cook flour and milk until very thick, stirring constantly.
- Cool completely.
- Cream sugar, butter and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add to cooked mixture.
- Beat, high speed, until very fluffy.
- Looks and tastes like whipped cream.
- Place one layer on cake plate and liberally frost top.
- Place second layer on top of first and frost top and sides.
- Sift cocoa powder lightly over the top for garnish, if desired.