Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Created for rsc '05 this incorporated our favorites of the ingredients.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (or more)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dill, chopped (or more)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaf, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- Mix ground chicken, breadcrumbs, egg, sage, parsley and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape into 20 small balls, set aside.
- In a stockpot heat oil.
- Add onions, celery and carrot, sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add brown rice and stir to cover with oil.
- Add chicken stock, parsley, dill, sage and bring to a boil.
- Add meatballs, and after soup returns to a boil lower to simmer.
- Partially cover, cook for 40 minutes.
- Add zucchini, cook for 10 minutes more, uncovered.
- Add peas and spinach, cook for 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
This is one outstanding soup, chia. I subbed basil for the dill but made no other changes. I'm so glad I made the full recipe. I put the extra in the freezer and plan to enjoy it for lunches. Incredibly good and healthful.
Wonderful soup Chia!!! This was enjoyed by all! Even the picky 4 year old gobbled it up. Speaking of gobble... I got confused (other review) and bought ground turkey for the recipe. I also added a yellow squash as the reviewer suggested. This is a very HEARTY soup!!! So flavorful and perfect for dinner! Thank you!
Excellent! A delicious, hearty main dish soup. We loved the idea of putting meatballs in soup, the fresh herb flavor and the colorful presentation. I made the recipe as directed except for having to sub ground turkey and cooking the zucchini for only 5 minutes before adding the peas and spinach. The only thing I would change is to use yellow squash for even more color. We love soup as a main dish, even when it's 110°F outside. This is a keeper. Thanks chef - great recipe!