Recipe by ZMom Taylor
This is a recipe I modified from The LLL Cookbook, Mother's in the Kitchen, copyright 1971, page 105. "No Excuse Bread" For best results, use all fresh, organic ingredients at room temp.... It is possible to eat delicious home baked bread in less than about four hours (as long as the children are well behaved.)
- 2 packages active dry yeast (=4.5 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey
- 2 organic fresh cage-free eggs
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seed
- 2 cups warm water, pure
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 -4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- some olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first ten ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Idea:First mix the dry and wet ingredients separately, and them combine them in the large bowl.
- Original recipe instructs beating 5-10 minutes at medium speed with electric mixer, but I did it all'by hand' and it turned out great.
- With a sturdy mixing tool, by hand mix in 2 cups unbleached flour.
- (No need to smooth all ingredients at this point.) Sprinkle 1 cup unbleached flour on a clean kneading surface.
- Dump the dough onto this floured surface.
- Oil your hands with olive oil before kneading.
- Begin kneading with fingertips only, until dough stiffens and is not so sticky (add the remaining flour as necessary.) Knead about 5-10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Return the dough to the mixing bowl.
- Cover the bowl of dough with plastic wrap and small towel.
- Rest 20 minutes and don't worry about it.
- After resting knead the dough a couple more strokes.
- Divide into two equal portions.
- Lubricate a clean surface and a large rolling pin with some olive oil.
- Roll each portion, one at time, into a triangular shape.
- Roll up beginning with the small end into a loaf shape.
- If necessaary, roll under the ends of the rolls and place into greased bread pans with the seam sides down.
- Either cover with plastic wrap or slip them into used commercial bread bags.
- Refrigerate 2 to 24 hours.
- Begin preheating the oven (350 degrees F) about ten minutes before baking.
- Puncture any air bubbles that may have formed with an oiled toothpick.
- Bake about 45 minutes.