Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From "The Breast of Friends" cookbook. A nourishing and tasty soup - even the kids as for seconds!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) canundiluted tomato soup
- 2 cups lentils (washed)
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups yams or 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach, chopped
- Saute onions, celery and garlic in canola oil for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except spinach. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 min., stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and simmer for 15 minute Serve hot.
- Better the next day.
I love this soup!! I have the same cookbook and I tried this soup and it's my favourite! I have even added in some kale half and half with the spinach and added some zucchini in...