Recipe by A Messy Cook
You will enjoy this delicious, fruity dessert even more when you know it is made without refined sugar or flour! Instead, it's sweetened with honey and apple juice, and uses fiber-rich whole grains as the crunchy complement to ripe summer fruit. Recipe is from Light and Tasty’s June/July 2005 issue: I am definitely going to try this one soon.
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (12 ounce) can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries or 2 cups blackberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberry
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat honey and oil until blended.
- Stir in oats, flour, and nuts until blended; set aside.
- Combine cornstarch and ¼ cup apple juice concentrate in small bowl.
- Combine lemon juice and remaining apple juice concentrate in saucepan, gradually whisk in cornstarch mixture, and bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir juice mixture for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Combine berries in sprayed 11x7 baking dish, top with apple juice mixture, and sprinkle with oat mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.