Recipe by English_Rose
Traditional soda bread gets a tasty twist in this version, flavoured with soured cream, cheese and fried onion.
Top Review by Lightly Toasted
This was good, but it didn't cook all the way thru in the middle, even though the outside was golden brown. Also.....as I was preparing it, realized that there should probably be SODA in soda bread, lol. I compared this recipe to other recipes, so I added 2 tsp of soda.
- 250 g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 250 g wholemeal flour
- 20 g baking powder
- 40 g caster sugar
- 75 g unsalted butter, softened
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 100 ml sour cream
- 150 g cheddar cheese
- 1 onions, chopped and gently fried in a little sunflower or 1 vegetable oil, until softened but not browned
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Line a baking sheet.
- Place the flours, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and work in the butter, buttermilk, soured cream, Cheddar cheese and fried onion to make a soft dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Flatten slightly and cut a cross into the top, then dust the top with a little flour.
- Place the loaf on a lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.