Prep 35 mins
Cook 4 hrs
basic, simple bread recipe
- 'melt' yest in about a cupful of the water to make sure all is dissolved properly. Add it to the water.
- PUt dry ingredients into a bowl and slowly add the water with one hand whilst mixing with the other until all absorbed.
- The dough may feel a bit sticky at this point but dont add any more flour yet! remove from the bowl and knead on a worksurface for about 10 - 15 mins until the dough is smooth to the touch and has a distinct elasticity not present at the start of the process.
- Put the dough into the bowl then leave to rise, covered with a polythene bag, in a warm place (approx 25 degrees C ok) for a couple of hours.
- once the dough has risen, then take it out of the bowl and roll it into a long sausage shape about twice the length of one side of your loaf tin.
- fold this into 3 then flatten into a rectangle with your knuckles. Then, starting at the edge furthest from you roll the dough towards you (with some tension) and then pick it up and place it (seam side down) into an oiled loaf tin.
- Leave to prove/rise for approx another hour before placing in a vrey hot oven (about 230 degrees C) for ten mins before turning down to 200 and baking for about another 25 minutes.