1/3 Photos of Wholemeal Bread
3 hrs 50 mins
The original recipe had called for a mixture of plain flour and whole-meal flour (half and half), but I don't bother with the plain flour, nonetheless, both turn out beautifully with a crunchy crust, packed with flavour. Choice is yours...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You will need a 2 lb loaf tin, well buttered.
- 2Seive the flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl and pour in the hand-hot water with the melted butter.
- 3Mix with your hands to form a dough, then scrape it out of the bowl on to a work surface.
- 4Knead for 10-15 minutes, adding more water if necessary (the dough should be very soft -it is better to have too much water than too little).
- 5Transfer the dough into a greased bowl, cover it with a clean, damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place ideally for two hours.
- 6Next, roll the dough into a long sausage, about twice as long as the tin, flatten it with your knuckles into a long strip and fold it into three.
- 7Fit the dough in the buttered tin, with the fold beneath, pressing in on the edges so that you will have a nice rounded top.
- 8Sprinkle the surface with a generous dusting of flour, then cover the tin with a damp, clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for further 30-40 minutes.
- 9Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6/200C/400°F.
- 10After the second-rising, bake in the centre shelf of the oven for 40 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when removed from the tin and tapped on the bottom.
- 11Return the bread back into the oven, but this time without the tin, upside down for a further 5-10 minutes to crisp the base and the sides.
- 12Cool the bread on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wholemeal Bread
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.9
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 16.0 mg
- Sodium 634.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.5 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 21.0 g