Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
You won't believe it's an all whole wheat quick bread! Lower in sugar (honey) that most recipes, this zucchini bread is fabulous. Low fat seekers can sub 1 cup of applesauce for oil. I have not made the carrot bread variety. From Whole Foods for the Whole Family.
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini or 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 cup oil or 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup honey or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Beat together oil and honey, then add eggs, vanilla and zucchini.
- Sift dry ingredients and add to zucchini mixture.
- Add nuts last.
- Bake in a greased 9" loaf pan at 350F for 45 to 60 minutes.
I did this one with both 2 cups of zucchini and 2 mashed overripe bananas, and used pumpkin pie spice instead of individual cinnamon and nutmeg (I know, I know). It turned out really moist and delicious, and not overly sweet. Probably my favorite version ever. I used honey and coconut oil.
Delicious recipe-- better than I expected actually :-) good texture (in spite of all whole wheat flour) and great flavor
Great recipe! Want to try more healthy alternatives such as coconut oil, applesauce, and brainless flours like coconut or almond flour.. Made a double recipe and used up all of my juicer pulp. Kale, chard, carrot, apple, strawberry, Asian pear, kiwi, beets, and broccoli! Along with walnuts, I added about 1/4 cup of flaxseeds to round off the cup of nuts/seeds. Every one loves it! It's going fast and is great with my morning juice!